Google+

The Red Baron (website!) Flies again!

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Damon, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Damon

Damon Developer

Hello Everyone,

This website was down for over a week! Apologies for this... apparently one of the elements had expired, but we have it fixed and back up now.

And, we are going to be more vigilant going forward in keeping it clear of all the spam in the forums! There are a few of you who have my Facebook contact details, so please continue to message me here or there and let me know if any spam shows up, and I'll delete the spam, ban the user, and ban the IP. At some point, we'll probably add a better confirmation scheme for all users who register on this website so we can avoid the bots.

And, we are now getting some traction on bringing Red Baron back to market. We have several pieces of exciting news that I can't share yet! Sorry to be secretive, but it's too early, but I wanted to let you know we're still committed to Red Baron. Most importantly, Red Baron will be the highest quality flight game ever seen when we bring it out!

Cheers,
    Damon
    Nemetos and thig like this.
  2. DJ Optik

DJ Optik New Member

So it's still alive. It's nice to hear at least something new about Red Baron. I hope the Project comes to a good end.
  3. Schultz

Schultz New Member

I'm glad to see this classic game series being reborn. Keep up the good work, you have my support.
  4. Brian Ginther

Brian Ginther New Member

Glad to hear the news! Was a little worried when the site went down, but figured it was something like that.
  5. TXRog

TXRog New Member

Very glad to see the site back up, Damon. Now if we could just ban all the spammers it would be great.
    Thanks!
  6. Gary Trotman

Gary Trotman Moderator

Ernst Udet likes this.
  7. Gary Trotman

Gary Trotman Moderator

GET SOME. lol
    Ernst Udet and TXRog like this.
  8. thig

thig New Member

Can't wait to fly again. I had the first two. Still have them but as you know they will not work now. thig
  9. Ernst Udet

Ernst Udet New Member

If anyone knows a Free App for Flight Sim that would afford a small degree of similarity to Ace of Aces (I know, nothing compares!) please let me know. (I purchased MS Combat Flight Simulator 3 Battle for Europe and have failed to negotiate the many intricacies of that game) I've been out of practice for 5 years and now Gary Trotman says I will have to compete in a test to be recruited for his Squadron. I am Old and Feeble but still have a few flying tricks no gamester would dare execute. Any suggestions for a Field of Practice (AI, etc)?
    Keep the Sun to Your Back,
    Ernst PAINTINGtallfok.jpg
  10. Spartan

Spartan Member

Sorry that I've been MIA for a few months. There have been some major events in my life recently and when I tried to check this forum in July, it must have been right in the middle of that outage. I assumed that things had went belly up. Welcome aboard Ernst (quite a name to live up to there mate!) I tend to fly Hun myself, so we could end up as wingmates at some point. Salute!
  11. Ernst Udet

Ernst Udet New Member

Well Dear Spartan, you are certainly right about me having a lot to prove trying to live up to that name!
    My Dad (a WWII Vet) grew-up watching Udet at Airshows. He was always talking about Udet as being the one, not Von Ric. After WWII, my Dad spent a lot of his free time down near the old Orange County Airport (John Wayne INT) at the home of Paul Mantz and Frank Tallman (My other favorite Flying names but not quite right for this venue)

fokkerdvii6761dnp1.jpg I sort of grew up there too, learning all about the Thompson Trophy Races and Barn Stormers. My "virtual" approach to flying borrows as much from stunt flying as I can muster, so watch out when you are near me. I love to have fun and flying is more fun to me than burps, but burps make Aces, don't they?
    So if we fly together, I'll be near the ground looking for a Barn to fly through or a bridge to fly under!

Keep the Sun to Your Back,
    Ernst

TXRog and Spartan like this.
  12. Spartan

Spartan Member

Very impressive. I envy your father. Udet was, indeed, a more skilled pilot than MVR. Ernst had fantastic abilities. Even Richthofen's brother, Lothar, was a better flyer than MVR. Manfred's strength was that he was a natural hunter, from spending many days in the forest during his youth, and he became a hunter in the skies. He learned his craft well from his mentor, Oswald Boelcke, and adhered to the Dicta. You silently stalk your prey, remaining hidden or away from the gaze of others as much as possible. When you find your unsuspecting target, you attack only when you have the advantage, from a superior altitude......out of the sun if possible.....and you make a sudden and clean kill, expending as few bullets as possible, then regain your advantage before looking for another. He was cold and calculating, which is how you have to be to survive. He never allowed his emotions to rule, only his logic and intelligence and this is how he taught his pilots to wage war. In the end, he was killed only after he broke his own rules.

Yes, Udet was an amazing pilot, but there was at least one other who was his equal, if not better. Werner Voss was possibly the best natural pilot of the war. An incredible talent. Such a pity that he died so young. Read about his last battle and you will be impressed..........the Limey's certainly were. ;)

S!
    TXRog and Ernst Udet like this.
  13. TXRog

TXRog New Member

Udet was indeed an incredible pilot, but my absolute favorite pilot of WWI (on any side) was Werner Voss. His incredible pilot skills when facing 7 British pilots of 56 Squadron B flight (inlcuding legendary ace James McCudden) will forever remain one of the truly epic dogfights in history and ensure a prominent place for Voss in the history of aerial warfare.

Attached Files:

14. TXRog

TXRog New Member

Let's fly!

Attached Files:

15. Spartan

Spartan Member

Yes, that is the battle I was referring too. As I recall, Voss managed to put bullets through all of his tormentors before he went down to vastly superior numbers. McCudden was also a great pilot......and a great leader as well. The air war in WWII was fascinating, but there were no braver men than those who flew crates constructed of wood, canvas and wire. The dawn of aviation has always been one of my main historical interests.
    TXRog likes this.
  16. TXRog

TXRog New Member

Absolutely true fact, Spartan. Best description I have ever heard of just what it was like flying air combat in WWI was by a historian in the History Channel series "Dogfighters" (season 2, episode 7 - "The First Dogfighters") whom I recalled likened it to traveling in a car with the top down at 100 mph, sitting on a gas tank and in about 20 degree temperature. On top of that, having to both outfly and outwit your opponent who is trying to shoot you down. "Big brass ones" for sure.
    Spartan likes this.
  17. Spartan

Spartan Member

LMAO!!! Yes, big brass ones for sure m8! Well said!
    TXRog likes this.
  18. RFC Guns McKill

RFC Guns McKill New Member

I recently took a 60 year old open cockpit glider for a spin, it was my first time without a canopy. Didn't expect to lose my sunglasses 5 seconds into the winch launch! It was cold, noisy and bloody windy and I was only doing about 38kts! They had balls like watermelons!
    Nemetos and TXRog like this.
  19. Gary Trotman

Gary Trotman Moderator

WoW ! Sounds like an experience you will never forget . i got to fly in a Bi Plane once , back seater at an air show , cost me $40 , he would not loop it , lol
    RFC Guns McKill likes this.
  20. RFC Guns McKill

RFC Guns McKill New Member

I was training as a gliding instructor and some guys who I flew with were part of a historic glider club, they brought out the old beasts when there was a lull in the days operations and I was lucky enough to take one for a circuit. This model first flew in 1935!, this one is only about 60 years old though. The photo below is from the day, it's not me in the front seat, I had just got out after my circuit to take the photo. (I am not the guy wearing the growbag either, although I was also wearing one!) Mk 3.jpg
    Nemetos and TXRog like this.